Friday, June 11, 2010

David Oliver
When my Chinese teacher told me about this opportunity, I was both excited and a little apprehensive. I was excited about the opportunity to better my Chinese language skills and to experience firsthand your amazing country with its rich and ancient culture. Although I am in my second year of Chinese, I was apprehensive about living in China for the summer with limited ability to speak the language. I find the Chinese language interesting, but challenging. It is difficult for me to memorize the characters, but I have an easier time with the spoken language. It is my hope that being immersed in the language this summer will help me to greatly improve my Chinese.

David Allyn
I am a devoted student and my favorite subject in school is Chinese. I study Pinyin as well as characters and the spoken language. Thus far, my class has learned many of the basic phrases and words as well the culture that goes along with them. For instance, we have learned about medicine in China, and more specifically about some of the traditional methods of Chinese medicine. Our teacher has also taught us about the differences in Chinese school systems and the typical schedule for a Chinese student.



Hannah Lee
Foreign language (Chinese) is interesting to me because this is the language that my parents grew up in. I was introduced to the language in my childhood, but I rejected it out of my stubbornness and ignorance to see its value. From high school to current day, I began to see the importance in learning the language to be introduced to different cultures. I also began to see its importance in future careers. Nowadays, jobs that involve traveling and/or moving around are only too common. Learning a second or even third language would improve your job chances significantly, not to mention it would look super on your college résumé. Those aren't my main focuses for learning Chinese though. Just learning the language is my main motivation.

No comments:

Post a Comment